Image Map

Monday, December 29, 2014

What I Learned About Writing in 2014

New Year Fireworks in Spain
Like many of you, 2014 was a big year for me. It was full of beautiful moments as well as heartbreaking ones. It tested me in so many ways. At the same time, this past year helped me grow as a person and as a writer.

Here are some things I learned about writing in 2014.
  • If you want results, you have to be consistent. If you want to improve your writing skills, you must write something every day. A runner won't win a race without practice. Neither will you.
  • Editing is difficult yet necessary. After finally finishing the first drafts of two difficult manuscripts, I set off on the path to revision. It's an arduous journey that's still in progress. When I started, I was terrified. How could anyone finish? Now, I understand the merits of revision. Although I'm nowhere near finished, I'm learning to enjoy the process.
  • When it comes to readership, value engagement rather than numbers. This concept has been frustrating to grasp until recently. After talking with several of my writing friends, including the wonderful Stephen Moran, I realized that numbers don't signify much. It's great to see my readership growing over time, but I want to avoid fixating on numbers. What's most important to me? Interacting and engaging with my new audience. This past year, I focused on growing a community, and my online experience was much more rewarding.
  • Reading is key. Okay, I've always known that reading was important, especially to writers. But this year, I realized that reading is a vital part of my wellbeing. Whenever I'm feeling down or stuck or uninspired, I dive into a novel. The quick jaunt through someone else's fictional world is enough to spark my inspiration and motivate me to keep going. If you've hit a wall, I recommend reading a couple of books.
  • Twitter is the ultimate online community for writers. I'm thankful for the people I've met on Twitter. In light of the past year, I can't imagine my life without them. Their encouragement, support, advice, and motivation keeps me going even on my most difficult days. If you're not on Twitter, sign up now! And feel free to follow me. :)
These are just some of the big things I learned about writing this year. Looking forward, I can't wait to see how I'll continue to evolve in my craft. I can't wait to see what you come up with, too. I wish all of you a happy and creative new year. Let's keep moving, no matter what!

What did you learn about writing in 2014? What are you going to work on this year?

Tweet tweet:
.@brianawrites shares what she learned about writing in 2014. What about you? (Click to tweet)

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you learned a lot in 2014. Totally agree with you about the editing, it brings me out in a cold sweat. I also agree with you about engagement, it's something I hope to improve in my 2015

    ReplyDelete
  2. Engagement is of the utmost importance. Hopefully both of us can learn to love editing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...