Image Map

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Five Things I Learned from My Best Writing Day

Five Things I Learned from My Best Writing Day -- Writer Briana Morgan shares her tips for a productive writing session. | brianawrites.blogspot.com

Another one of my Twitter friends requested a particular blog post. This time, he asked about my best writing day.

More than anyone, I understand that writing is tough work. The most difficult part of writing is actually writing. Sometimes it feels impossible to sit in the chair and move your hands across the keys.

With that being said, I have had a few good writing days. They were days in which I felt like my brain was on fire in the best way possible. Everything I wrote was magic and I was unstoppable.

Consequently, on my best writing day (#WeekendWriteFest, when I wrote 8K words), I learned these five important things.
  1. Attitude is everything. If you go into a writing session dreading the work, your bad attitude is going to show through your words. Be optimistic. Visualize becoming fully immersed in your work and loving it. You'll be surprised how much of a different a shift in attitude can make.
  2. Take frequent breaks. Although it's tempting to write without stopping when you're on a roll, it's important to step away every so often to refresh your mind and care for your body. When you write, make sure you're eating, drinking, and using the bathroom at regular intervals. If you feel like you need a break, take a break. The work will be there when you get back. Taking breaks is the key to avoiding burnout.
  3. Check in with your support group. I am so thankful for my writing tweeps. The writing community on Twitter saves me on a daily basis. During #WeekendWriteFest, I expected them to hold me accountable. By checking in with my word counts, I was able to receive encouragement and to encourage others. Community is indispensable when it comes to staying motivated.
  4. Celebrate your successes. Whenever I finished a page, I took a break. I got on Twitter or played a game on my phone for a few minutes as a reward. This step goes hand-in-hand with #2. I don't think I could've been as disciplined without a rewards system in place.
  5. Set attainable goals. Like I mentioned, whenever I finished a page, I let myself have a reward. I focused on writing a page at a time. By separating my goal into manageable chunks, it was easier for me to reach without getting discouraged. Instead of worrying about writing a novel, focus on getting the first sentence down.
I know these things seem pretty basic, but I'm hoping you were still able to take something away from this post. Sometimes it's the simple things that are the most profound. If you have any other blog requests, be sure to let me know!

What did you learn from your best writing day? How can you replicate it in the future?

4 comments:

  1. Maybe this is its own thing or maybe it's a little part of each of the things you mentioned, but my best writing days involve comfort. The room wasn't noisy but it wasn't completely quiet (noise cancelling headphones with Coffitivity!), it was the perfect temperature, I was in the perfect clothes (no pants!), I was in a comfy chair, and my wife and kids gave me space. I was also well rested and well fed. I was perfectly comfortable (I had/did all those things you mentioned too) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a writer, I totally agree with setting attainable goals. I find that's a really good way to keep me on track and it stops me from getting disheartened x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most definitely! If you aim too high and miss, you'll feel terrible. The key to moving forward is taking small steps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a recipe for success to me!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...