Image Map

Saturday, November 1, 2014

How Dragon Dictation Can Help You Write

Photo Credit: Flickr
Today's post is going to be about an app that I think all writers should be using. It's called Dragon Dictation.

This amazing app takes your words and turns them into text. This is great because if you're driving, or your hands are busy, or you otherwise can't write, you can still get your thoughts down somewhere. I like Dragon Dictation because it lets me write while I'm driving. This blog post, for example, was written almost entirely in the car. While I was driving. How cool is that?

To use Dragon Dictation, all you have to do is open the app, hit Record, and start talking. Just like that, your words are translated into text. Once you're finished speaking, you can choose to export the text via email, SMS, or by some social channels. I usually choose to email it to myself so I can transfer it to Scrivener right when I get home.

Another great thing about the app? It's free. That's right - it didn't cost me a cent. You can find it in the app store pretty easily, too. I'm not getting paid to speak about this app. It's just honestly that good.

If you're looking for a great app to help you write while on the go, check out Dragon Dictation, available for iOS and Android.

Have you used Dragon Dictation or another app like it to get some writing done? What are your other tips for writing on the go?

Tweet tweet:
Ever heard of Dragon Dictation? @brianawrites thinks every writer should try it. (Click to tweet)
Calling all writers! @brianawrites has an app suggestion for you. (Click to tweet)

4 comments:

  1. A friend was just talking about Dragon Dictation yesterday and I thought then that it sounded like a good idea. You've convinced me to check it out, heading to the app store now. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We integrate Dragon software in with the software we write at work and it works really well (we make medical imaging software and our speech engine is Dragon, which allows doctors to dictate reports while viewing the images). Anyway, I decided I'd try the free app because I drive half an hour to work and back every day. I didn't like it. For some reason the stuff that comes out of my mouth is so disorganized that I need to re-write it almost completely when I get home anyway. I haven't tried it for blog posts though, so that might work. I post on Sunday's so maybe I'll make that my Friday drive time routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't want to use the app, you can also dictate a text to yourself. Sometimes I do that when I'm too lazy to open the app. The only problem with that is that you can't speak as much. It cuts you off after a certain point.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...