Image Map

Monday, September 1, 2014

Turn Off the Television!

Using remote on television
Photo by flash.pro on Flickr
I have a confession to make.

I'm addicted to television.

I'm a die-hard follower and fan of several shows current and ended. When I get home from work, I go straight to Netflix or cable TV. I even have a DVR set to record certain shows so I don't miss them when they air.

With that being said, I dedicate time to daily writing. It can be hard to sit down and get to work after a full day on the job, but I make it happen. It gets easier once I've started.

Unless I turn on the TV.

I cannot focus if I turn on the TV. Sometimes I trick myself into thinking that the background noise will help me; that it won't be overwhelming. "I'll turn the volume down," I tell myself. "I won't even watch. I'll just have it on." You know what? It never works. I don't get as much done when I have the television on--even if it's tuned into something I don't care about.

Some writers can work with the television on. The problem comes happens when you come home from work or school, turn on Netflix, and spend two hours or more binge-watching something instead of writing. We're writers, after all, and writers write.

Watching TV isn't writing. Commit to putting in some work before turning on the television. That way, you'll accomplish something and have the rest of the evening to relax, free of guilt.

How do you feel about writing with the television on? What distracts you as a writer? 

6 comments:

  1. That's so true, I'm very guilty of this, although personally I find aimless web surfing can be even more dangerous than the TV. Just started reading The War of Art and it's given me a much needed kick to start treating my writing as a professional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aimless web surfing can most definitely be dangerous. I use Google Chrome, so I downloaded an extension called StayFocusd that blocks distracting websites for a set period of time. You should check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say I'm not a big fan of TV, and do tend to prefer not watching it. But there are some shows I get addicted to and can't stop watching :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same here! I save those shows as rewards after I've finished my writing for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much! I'll answer the questions soon!

    Briana Morgan (407) 719-0418 *The College Novelista *

    On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 1:51 PM, The College Novelista wrote:

    >

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...