Image Map

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

How to Get Writing Done When You Can't Shut the Door

How to Get Writing Done When You Can't Shut the Door
Photo by Giorgio Raffaelli on Flickr
In an ideal world we would all have spaces dedicated to writing. We'd have rooms or closets or storage spaces where would could close the door. We could physically separate ourselves from the world. Nothing would distract us from doing the work.

I'm writing this from the living room of my grandma's house. It's impossible to close myself off while I'm here. If I go into another room, someone follows and strikes up a conversation. Every single time. Without fail.

Sometimes it's not possible to go somewhere and write, with a physical door between you and your surroundings. Like right now, for instance. I'm stuck in the living room. Luckily, I have a few tips to help you focus even when you can't shut the door for some reason.

Use music as a form of "shutting the door." If you can't get somewhere private, turn on Pandora and plug in some headphones. Even if you're not playing anything, most people will leave you alone if you're wearing headphones. Turn the music up and you won't hear anyone. It'll be easier to get lost in your own little world.

Write when people are sleeping. I stayed up late last night to get some writing done. If you're a morning person, try to rise before the sun. When the house is quiet, it's easier to concentrate. The best part? No one else will be awake enough to bother you.

Communicate. Tell your friends and loved ones how much writing means to you. If they love you, they'll understand when you tell them you need to set aside time for your work. You can even schedule time to hang out with them later so they know they'll get to see you. Honesty and openness can get you a long way.

While all of these methods have worked for me before, I've found that nothing beats getting behind a closed door. Feel free to try some of these. If you don't like them, move on. Find what works for you. What matters is that you write, not how you get the writing done.

What do you think? How do you write without getting distracted?

4 comments:

  1. "Use music as a form of “shutting the door.” - Using music when I write is so important to me, I just wrote a post about it last week. I can't stand hearing the little noises people make as they move around, much less when they're talking. Having a pair of headphones usually deters anyone from talking to me, but not always!

    Good post, Briana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting! Even if the house is quiet, it can be TOO quiet, you know? And I absolutely agree with you when it comes to people noises. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post. The biggest thing is to find whatever works for you personally to overcome distractions. Music is an especial favorite of mine. I put on the headphones and go 'away'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is a fantastic way to dive into your own little world.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...