Image Map

Monday, January 13, 2014

Put Your Butt in the Chair and Keep It There

desk

Writing is equal parts torture and pleasure. On some days, my fingers fly over the keys with a speed that surprises me. On others, it's all I can do to open my word processor, let alone put something down on the page.

Writer's block happens. It strikes without warning.

The good news is that you can do something about it.

The next time you find yourself at your wit's end, mucking about trying to find your next line, follow my advice:
Put your butt in the chair and keep it there.

No, that's it.

You heard me correctly.

The secret to writing even when you don't feel like writing is to put your butt in the chair and keep it there until you've gotten something written. You'd be surprised how inspired you become when you can't pee, eat, or go out with your friends until you've met your allotted goal.

When it comes to writing, the hardest part is getting the words from your brain to your fingers and onto the page.

Keep your butt in the chair and see what happens.

2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...